Welcome to Cycad Society of South AfricaOur credo is to promote all aspects of knowledge of cycads, and to foster a lively interest in these plants. These objects are worthy of pursuit.
The cycads have been with us for perhaps 100 million years, but in recent times their numbers and perhaps diversity in nature have dwindled due to competition with flowering plants. Perhaps the single most serious threat to their continuing existence is man, collecting wild plants for ornamental applications. On the scientific front we have lately learnt that these plants have very specialised pollinators, and that re-establishment in nature is unlikely to be successful without profound knowledge of the biology of these plants. Against this background, we firstly promote interest in, and appreciation of, these plants by propagating and growing them as horticultural subjects, and secondly we actively encourage scientific research and the documentation thereof so that we can keep the captive and remaining wild plants alive in years to come.
We invite you to participate in this process.
- To encourage the cultivation and propagation of cycads
- To disseminate information on cycads by various means, inter alia through the regular publication of a magazine
- To arrange the legal exchange of plants, seedlings, seed, and pollen of different cycad species between members.
- To encourage scientific research on cycads
- To promote all aspects of cycad conservation
- To foster and maintain links with organisations having similar aims on an international basis
Constitution of the CSSAJoin Now Renew Membership Council Members Sign In
The latest issue of Encephalartos
ISSUE 135 – March 2019
How to become a member
There are two ways of becoming a member.
Cycads tracked through DNA barcodes
Janice Williamson, Herman van der Bank, Ronny Kabongo and Michelle van ..on years ago) making them the world’s oldest extant seed plants.
National Secretary - Cycad Society of South Africa
Wynand van Eeden
Editor of Encephalartos
T: +27 (0)82 895 0233
Back Copies Officer
T: +27 (0)12 548 1152 / +27 (0)82 772 9507
Madeleine du Plessis
Reginal Branch Representatives
T: +27 (0)84 627 9645
T: +27 (0)83 233 5045
Tilania du Preez
T: +27 (0)79 480 4416
Piet de Bruyn
T: +27 (0)83 447 5979
From the Council